Stop whatever you are doing! It’s Popcorn Lover’s Day and you need to have some popcorn! I’m a big fan of this snack, and I’ve recently given up on the microwave stuff (what the heck do they put on those kernels?) in favor of the good old fashion pan. The only thing you need to be careful with is the kernels you buy – while they all generally look the same, some are inferior in quality and will end up only partially popped or not at all. So pay the extra cent (cause that’s basically how much it costs) and get the good stuff. You deserve it.
Using coconut oil to grease the pan is awesome and light, but you can also use olive oil (like I did), sunflower oil or even butter. And when you’re done with that, move on to the topping. I usually just use salt, but on this special day I went crazy and made a sriracha topping. Yes, you read that right. There’s no reason you shouldn’t spice up your popcorn! And if you’re thinking of turning this into movie night, check out these Wes Anderson-inspired free printable popcorn bags.
- 1 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp popcorn kernels (depending on the size of your pan)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sriracha
- *pan with lid
- Put the oil in the pan over high heat, and place one kernel in it. When it pops, it means the oil hot enough, and you can proceed with the rest of the kernels. Don't use too many at once, or they will lift the lid as they pop.
- Let the kernels pop for 5-7 minutes, shaking the pan once in a while. You'll know they're ready when the popping slows down significantly (it also helps if your lid is transparent).
- Meanwhile, melt the butter, sriracha and salt to make the topping.
- Drizzle the topping over the popcorn and toss to mix it.
- You can make the topping spicier by adding more sriracha. Similarly, if it feels too spicy, add more butter.