When I was a child, one of my favorite games was called “substances and experiments”. It sounds a little metaphysical when translated into English, but it actually implied me locking myself in the bathroom for hours, mixing soap scraps with my grandpa’s shaving cream or my grandma’s face cream with toothpaste and every other cosmetic product in there. The adults weren’t crazy about it – on the one hand, I was wasting their precious products, on the other hand, I was gifting them the results (and got upset when they didn’t want to use them on their skin). It all smelled terrible and I loved it. Little did I know, I was in the business of making homemade cosmetics before it was cool.
That’s the thing with homemade beauty products – it feels like playtime, only the results are usable. Because I know by now laundry soap on my nose is not a good idea. This scrub on my body, however, is a good idea. It smells like cake! And the ingredients are nice and good, nothing chemical. Cocoa powder is packed with antioxidants, brown sugar gently exfoliates, olive oil softens the skin, while almond ties everything together, giving this scrub that amazing scent I was telling you about. Let’s get started.
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp almond essence/essential oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a clean bowl, mix the sugar and cocoa powder. Add the almond essence and then the olive oil, mixing everything together.
- Apply in the shower, avoiding the face and any sensitive areas, once a week.
- You can keep this scrub in an airtight container, away from sunlight and heat, for a few days.
- This recipe makes enough scrub for 3-4 uses, so feel free to reduce the quantities if you need less.