I used to be rather obsessed with cross stitch, starting with actual canvas and moving forward to cross stitching clay, my bike basket and everything with holes in it. I thought I’m over it, but clearly I’m not, because when I saw these X-shaped pieces of plastic at the hardware store I thought: cross stitch! Who cares that they’re actually meant to be placed under tiles on the wall… All I see is wall art!
What you need:
- picture frame
- tile spacers (a big pack)
- cross stitch pattern
Take the mat out of the picture frame and measure its middle. That’s where you’ll begin your “cross stitch”. Following the design you’ve decided on, glue each tile spacer until you get your desired pattern. Let dry and place back inside the frame to hang on the wall.
Tips & ideas:
- Make sure you have enough tile spacers for your design before actually gluing! Yes, that means counting the crosses in the design beforehand.
- If you want to do a 2-3 colors design, spray paint the tile spacers before you begin the project.
- Use a light-colored mat to contrast with the tile spacers. I wish I’d went for bigger contrast on mine!
- If you’re not renting your home like I am, you can glue the tile spacers directly to the wall. I wouldn’t recommend using a glue-gun, though.